10 Interesting Facts About Paper
Our Passion for Paper
You can say that paper is pretty important to us here at JAM Paper & Envelope. So if you care about paper as much as we do, check out the top ten most interesting facts about paper that we found from around the internet. We list everything from when paper was first created to how much paper one tree produces.
Don’t forget to click the “Share this fact” link after every fact to tweet your favorite fact to your twitter followers!
1) The Chinese invented paper around 105 A.D. from hemp. Eventually, tree bark, bamboo, and other plant fibers were used in addition to hemp.
2) Our English word “paper” is derived from the word “papyrus“, in Egyptian.
3) About 70 million tons of paper and paperboard are used by Americans every year.
4) Each year, more than 2 billion books, 350 million magazines, & 24 billion newspapers are published.
5) When the Bible was first produced by Johannes Gutenber, it was printed on parchment (sheep skin). It used the skin of 300 sheep to make.
6) During the American Revolution, paper was so hard to find that soldiers ripped pages from books to use them as wadding (disc of material used in guns) for their rifles.
7) 1 Pine tree can produce about 80,500 sheets of paper.
8) Paper gifts are traditionally given to celebrate a couple’s first year wedding anniversary.
9) Our paper money isn’t paper at all. United States currency paper is composed of 75% cotton and 25% linen.
10) Every day, American businesses use enough paper to circle the globe 20 times.